Does Kevin Feige Believe SuperHero Films Will Go The Way Of The Western?

12:18 PM Unknown 0 Comments



Kevin Feige has certainly been busy as of late with him being interviewed about how Marvel Studios’ future plans are and even what exactly they have in store for Spider-Man. While I did write a rundown of all the important aspects he had discussed, he now tackled the recent statements by Zack Snyder and Steven Spielberg, who believe that either the superhero franchise is going “the way of the Western” or that Marvel only offers “the flavor of the week, like Ant-Man”.[1]

Feige stated that "People have been asking me that for 15 years. In 2001, 2002, 2003 there were two Marvel movies, three Marvel movies, and I still believe the same thing, which is as long as the ones that we can control are as good as they can be, that's all that I care about. I think we've been doing pretty well. I'm very confident in the films we've announced that we have coming forward that they're going to be surprising and different and unique. I've said a lot: I don't believe in the comic book genre. I don't believe in the superhero genre. I believe that each of our films can be very different."

This certainly is quite true to what they have been trying to accomplish with the space opera Guardians of the Galaxy and heist-style film Ant-man. He also believed that “the Western lasted 40 to 50 years, and they still pop up occasionally. It’s been, what, eight years since Iron Man if we count that, which I do, as the beginning of our MCU? Maybe [it] will only last another 42 years.” Which he did take with a smile and it is still a lot of time to work on.

Regarding Batman v Superman director’s comments, he simply stated "Those are all very different movies. They all happen to be based on Marvel characters and Marvel comics, but from a genre and a cinematic perspective, they're all very unique. Civil War may as well be a different genre from Age Of Ultron. The way Winter Soldier was a political thriller, I think there is a more emotional and more geopolitical and real world through line through Civil War than there was in the broader Age Of Ultron with the killer AI Tony Stark invention. I think it's the same thing as saying, 'I don't know how many more movies can be made from novels. I think people are going to bored with novels being turned into movies. I don't know how long it's going to last."[2]

It was a very interesting look at his interpretation of the matter, and it all reminds me of an interesting video made by MovieBob. It is a fantastic look into how films and pop culture in general has changed the perception and longevity of franchises. Be sure to check out his fantastic video “When Will Superhero Movies DIE!?” from his seres "In Bob We Trust".


0 comments: