[Be Cool, Scooby-Doo!] #101 - Mystery 101

4:17 AM Unknown 0 Comments



Wait, this isn’t my Once Upon A time Review! No, it isn’t as I know I am a bit behind on my reviews in general, but I by coincidence found a little time to check out the brand new installment in the ever-expanding Scooby-Doo franchise. Believe it or not, but we have now officially reached the eleventh installment of the franchise and it seems that this is more of a back to basics for the series by updating the old clichés of the original series, but still trying to keep it fresh. Does the new show succeed in that or should Scooby-Doo take a rest?

What time is it? Spoiler warning time! Yes, as always be aware that there are potential spoilers to the episode in this article. So, just be careful if you continue reading the article and have not seen the episode yet.

Velma might be joining an elite university after their summer break is over, so she and the gang head over there for her interview. Wouldn’t you know a ghost of the former founder of the Kingston University is haunting the ground keeping anyone from joining the university! So that she can enter the university, she and everyone else must team together to solve the mystery, as that is what they are best at and maybe uncover if the college is what Velma was hoping for.

Right off the bat, I was a bit surprised by the animation. After watching shows like Steven Universe and Gravity Falls, the animation at first does look a bit cheap, but I will say that it has a unique style to it making it stand out among the other shows. This isn’t the first time the show was given a fresh set of paint, and for what they are trying to do it works well. I do love the fact that it allows for a much simpler design for the characters, so everyone looks their part and the voices are spot on.

The story is very much classic to what we have seen in any Scooby-Doo show and while I would appreciate the reveal a bit more if we meet more characters that make us second-guess who could be the actual ghost, the characters we are introduced here are fun. The school’s dean has one of the funniest and most awkward lines at the end, while the security guard is a lot of fun, as he hides in pretty much plain sight.

That is what I actually really liked about this episode, the humor was spot on and there were a lot of great visual gags. While the classic running away from the ghost segment returned, I really couldn’t stop laughing at the spot where Scooby and Shaggy got stuck in a vending machine, which were quite fancy I must say. I am sure that the new redesign’s might have some backlash with the fans, but I quite loved the way they are used, especially the gags featuring the puppets. While I don’t think they will return, I did love their “send-off” in the episode, which besides the vending machine was another one of my favorites. Yeah, this was a huge surprise for me as I only wanted to see how the new Scooby-Doo would turn and I must say, I want to see more of “Be Cool, Scooby-Doo!”, which is a really weird title though.

Did you see the episode? What did you think of it? What about the redesign? Leave a comment below!

0 comments: